Update: 344 of your fellow adventurers are now enrolled in Stature, our new character sculpting deep dive. How would you like to grow your character for 2020 and beyond? Join us for this epic journey!
More than 5 years in the making… the long awaited sequel to How to Cook Brown Rice is finally here!
The Ultimate Rice Bowl is my own special recipe for a delicious vegan/vegetarian meal. It’s the perfect blend of warm, chewy, crunchy, and savory. It’s also very easy to make — no special cooking skill required.
This recipe is for a single serving of a very filling meal. If you want to make a smaller or bigger batch, feel free to adjust the ingredients proportionally.
Here’s how to make it…
- 1-2 cups cooked brown rice, depending on how hungry you are (make according to instructions in How to Cook Brown Rice)
- 1/3 cup diced cucumber (I prefer English cucumbers)
- 1 small tomato, diced (I normally use a roma tomato)
- 4-5 sun dried tomatoes, each cut into 6-8 pieces (The best are Mediterranean Organic Sundried Tomatoes)
- 1/4 – 1/2 avocado, diced
- 2-4 tbsp minced green onion
- 1-2 tsp toasted sesame oil (I use Spectrum Naturals Organic Sesame Oil)
- tamari to taste (a few splashes with a shaker bottle)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (raw or toasted)
- Put the rice in a bowl.
- Add sesame oil, tamari, and sesame seeds. Use a fork to mix.
- Add cucumber, tomato, sun dried tomatoes, avocado, and green onion. Mix again.
- Add 1 tsp mirin for a sweeter flavor (when you add the sesame oil, tamari, and sesame seeds)
- Add 1/3 cup bok choy, chopped
- Substitute regular soy sauce or shoyu for tamari
- If you like a strong onion flavor, try using minced white, brown, or red onion instead of green onion
You can certainly make this with leftover rice, but I suggest heating the rice first since this dish is best served warm.
I must caution you that this can be an addictive recipe. Once you try it, expect to make it often! 🙂