|05-01-2007, 12:46 PM||#1 (permalink)|
Join Date: Mar 2007
threadjacking "learning, but not doing" - anyone started the "doing" part?
Over 4,000 views of the original thread.
So, let's do something about it!
I just applied online to be a Big Sister in the Big Brothers Big Sisters of New York City mentoring program. They ask for a minimum commitment of: 1 year, 8 hours/month of one-on-one time with an under-privileged child. I still need to go through an intensive 1.5 hour interview, 2 hours training, and a background check.
These children come from a world where negativity, under-achievement, and low self-esteem is rampant. Now, I've pulled myself up from massive trauma and post-traumatic stress through PD...but being a role model for a child is a totally different level. Instead of being internal, I have to be external. I have to truly walk-the-walk.
Am I ready for it? I don't know, but I'll never know until I try.
What has everyone else done?
Edited to add: There is also Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.
Last edited by uberinquisitive; 05-01-2007 at 12:51 PM.
|05-01-2007, 09:36 PM||#2 (permalink)|
Join Date: Nov 2006
I've put together, and implemented a plan that accomplishes a number of things that needed to be taken care of.
1. I've begun to reduce the size of my goat herd, from 300 head to 75 head.
with the sale of these goats, I've been paying off my credit card debts, and have cut the debt in half, already. Now down to $12,000. By the time we reach the number of 75 head, we will be practically debt-free.
2. This also needed to be done, as the herd has grown to large for the area, and is beginning to negatively impact the area, and in turn, threatens the health of the herd. So, reducing the herd number, will ease the land a lot, and give it time to replenish.
3. Have been utilizing my internal guidance system when making decisions. This has aided me well in some aspects of going through the probating of Dads will.
Revealed the intentions, and attempted manipulations of others, and the decisions I made to do, or not do, certain things, kept me from being manipulated.
|05-02-2007, 06:41 AM||#3 (permalink)|
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Oh of course!
- Started and currently continuing my running program, with increases in distance approximately bi-weekly.
- Becoming an early riser. Going since February. Plan to reach goal around June 2007.
- On a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet since March. Though I don't really consider that personal development...
- Leaning a bit more into my side-business: computer consulting. Two new clients this week.
- Contributing regularly, as planned, to my two blogs. Thus writing more, which has always been a goal for me. Next step: more creative writing.
I could list more...Honestly, almost every area of my life has something going on in it. Free time is something I don't have much of because I tend to fill it. Personal Development is great; I love reading the articles, they're inspiring and educational...But why read them if they don't lead to action?
This kind of thread; I feel like I'm showing off. But I guess that's what it's for. Everyone who posts something real here, I congratulate you. Personal Development is about action. I'm glad to be moving with you...Let's succeed folks! That's just how we roll.
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:04 AM.