|05-19-2008, 02:30 AM||#1 (permalink)|
Join Date: Feb 2007
If I lose my job ...
My employment record pretty much goes something like this:
1. 18 Yrs. Old - Bank Teller; Abandoned job after nine months (I was a kid who didn't know any better)
2. 18 Yrs. - Temp Filing Clerk; Completed two-week assignment, then got offered job #3
3. 18 - 21 Yrs. - Bank Teller; Left on a very positive note to pursue higher education and try an opportunity as a legal assistant
4. 21 Yrs. - Legal Assistant; Resigned (effective immediately) after one month because the responsibility was more than I could handle during school
5. 21 - 23 Yrs. - Private Music Instructor; Dropped out of school during this time (wrong major) and eventually went out of business on account of the economy
6. 22 Yrs. - Co-Owned/Managed Successful eBay Business; Sold my stake after six months---too much stress
7. 23 Yrs. - Temp Data Entry Clerk; Resigned (effective immediately) after several weeks due to lack of transportation (car died, no bus routes)
8. 23 Yrs. - Present (24 Yrs.) - Temp Financial Analyst; I may get fired soon for medical reasons (OCD getting in the way of work)
Given my location (just outside NYC) and my history, do you think it will be difficult for me to find new work if I am laid off? By new work, I mean anything that will pay the rent---even retail.
Last edited by Jes; 05-19-2008 at 02:42 AM.
|05-20-2008, 11:44 AM||#3 (permalink)|
Join Date: Aug 2007
Emphasis the positives, not the negatives. When you state why you quit or stopped doing certain things, mention the reasons - no transport (hire car?), focused on study, medical issues (now resolved! -- important or they might think it'll carry on. if it's not resolved, don't apply for positions it will majorly effect). These are all reasonable reasons for not continuing. On the other side, look what you've achieved! You worked for 3 years 18-21 and left on a very positive note. You ran an music business and then an Ebay business! That's nothing small! It shows you know how to handle business stuff.
Work on your OCD. Work on finding something you're interested in, not that will just pay the bills. If you're interested in it, go back to uni, it'll do wonders for your resume! (Maybe try to get into a course where you can then get paid work experience, or even a scholarship from a company?).
|05-20-2008, 11:59 AM||#4 (permalink)|
Join Date: Mar 2007
Your challenge finding work won't be location, and won't be your history, per se. It'll be the reasons you left your previous jobs: you abandoned one because you didn't know better; you gave up a successful online business because of the stress; you left another because it was more than you could handle.
When the going gets rough, you seem to abandon ship rather than try to find a way to work things out. THAT is what potential employers will be concerned about.
|05-26-2008, 02:44 AM||#8 (permalink)|
Join Date: May 2008
Judging from your credentials I'm not worried about you OP, not only can you survive in the 'white collar' world, but it seems you are very easily adaptable in any context. Seems like even if you were a garbage man you would own your own garbage company in no time at all.
OCD is actually a good thing when it comes to work, but as you know it is about keeping it in check. I would hire an OCD employee any day, because their upside is huge. The downside of course is health, but you need to find a working environment where your employer can work with that instead of against, together to nurture your health instead of hold it back, to both work toward making life better.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Eat Whatever You Want And Lose Weight||Chris Davis||Health & Fitness||24||06-13-2008 08:28 PM|
|How do you lose?||Brutha||Character & Contribution||26||06-09-2008 05:01 PM|
|Sometimes You Lose not because of Incompetence||wilsonng||Business & Financial||1||04-30-2008 12:15 AM|
|My way to lose weight.||simo||Health & Fitness||0||04-30-2007 10:47 PM|
|Lose Fat||kpreston||Health & Fitness||12||02-17-2007 01:45 AM|
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:42 PM.