Below is a letter I have written to my Eating Disorder this morning to thank him for his services and remove him from life.
I feel much more peaceful now.
Thank you for your services over the past five years. I created you to help me solve the problems I faced. I looked at my life and saw an empty tool box, and wondered how was I to manage all this stress. Together, we created an army of self protection. Thank you for your loyal service and enlistment. I write to notify you htat you are being honourably discharged. I will no longer be needing your services as where I am going life isn't scary and I have a full tool box of new recruits to take me there. So, now we must part ways permantly.
Please not my gratitude for the following services:
- Weight gain, while I may not have appreciated your presence or ever truly like you, I now accept you lovingly and want to thank you for your protection. Over the coming months I am going to be setting you free as I no longer require your services.
- Size 14-16 your stay in my wardrobe has been appreciated. Thank you for clothing the body I abused. I have entered a new partnership with food and will no longer be needing your services.
- A warm welcome back to sizes 8 and 10. I have missed your presence in my wardrobe and look forward to seeing your arrival over the coming months.
- To my medications, your willingness to minimise the pain caused to my body by Ed and I is much appreciated. My body and I are now at peace so you are free to leave once the healing is complete.
- To food, I have been a terrible client. Ed and I have misuesed your services and would like to change our contract to service my nutritional needs rather tahn the emotional ones.
- Fear, thank you for showing me the areas of my life I must work one. Your guidanc is appreciated although I need to remind you that you serve as a guide not a master. I look forward to facing those fears over the coming months.
Again, thank you all for your services and protection. You need not worry about me as I will have a new army of positive behaviors to protect me. There is no need to visit me ever again and wish all the best on your future journeys.