Originally Posted by ludlow
Here's a conundrum that has arisen for me in reading on these subjects. I'd be enormously grateful for anybody's thoughts.
1. Many Buddhist texts I've read, and also Eckhart Tolle's book The Power of Now, emphasize the point that you are not your thinking mind, and that by learning to quiet the thinking mind, you can access a far more spacious plane of consciousness or Being. This plane transcends the separateness of individual people and is, in some way, the primary "stuff" of reality.
This primary stuff of reality is nothing but Truth, Love and Joy. Which is what you get when you are creating your world deliberately. The vibration of Joy and Love and that knowingness is the same as when you quieten your mind to ALLOW what is your dominant being. That is well being which is what flows when you quieten the mind. But BECAUSE you're also thinking negative thoughts or those of lack in your everyday life... you are feeling bad and disconnecting.
So in other words... if you can only focus on positive... then in the end... that is where you will be anyway. Same Destination... Different Paths. read on...
2. Meanwhile, subjective reality as I have understood it so far (along with The Secret, and a lot of personal development stuff that doesn't use the term "subjective reality") seems to suggest that thoughts create reality. What you think about, you create more of. Thought is the primary "stuff" of reality. |
I've come to hold belief 1. through some success with meditation. I *want* to believe 2. as well, though I'd say I'm not there yet.
But are they just inherently contradictory? Or can they be reconciled? If getting caught up with thinking is somehow a distraction from Being, does that mean you have to reject the idea that thought is the basis of reality? Can you believe in some kind of Zen-like "enlightenment" and also believe in The Secret?
Does this post even make sense?
I think I'll stop there before I confuse myself even more...
Thoughts are creative. If you are thinking negative thoughts... you are creating a negative life. And so you are sad as a result of this negative thoughts and consequently negative life. It is disconnecting you from that same well being that you feel when you become good at meditation OR that feeling when you wake up in the morning refreshed. In the creation theory... you are told to think good thoughts to create a good life... these thoughts connects you to Joy which is ALLOWING your Dominant well being to flow.
When a person is in true Appreciation/Joy/Love level... then they can feel the joy in eating a fresh salad. They can feel the great joy in doing a very mundane thing like washing your dishes or cleaning your home. You get there with practice and as you change ... so is your reality. *Its always an inside job*.
Its not very hard to change... but it does take practice and diligence.
EDIT: I reread my post again... It may be a bit confusing.. here it is more clearly and briefly:
1. Cease thought like in Meditation and you let your dominant well being flow.
2. Ceasing thought also ceases negative thought. This is why you feel good.
3. Instead if you only thought positive good feeling thoughts... you would feel great.
4. The Universe says, "Here is an incentive... you are created in my image. You have my power. Your thought is creative... go forth and create your life deliberately".
5. To accomplish point 4. you must feel Good by thinking good feeling thoughts (like having a million bucks?) thereby connecting you to your well being................ which by the way meditation also does.