Originally Posted by Erin Pavlina
I think people should be able to discuss issues that impact us globally.
So, maybe we should have also have a forum about cars? Cars impact us, it's central to our lives, and some people on here would love to have a forum on cars to talk about cars. Should we start having a forum on everything?
In fact, I think a forum full of "smart" people are ideal to come together and work on ways to improve the world. I dislike the name "politics" because of the connotation. However, I do like the idea of discussing candidates and their philosophies.
Maybe you can start an ErinPavlina-Politics.com website where smart people can go to talk about politics? The tagline can be "Politics for Smart People"
There would have to be some heavy moderating and at the very first signs of personal attacks, name calling and the like, action would need to be swift and decisive. |
Just as we all have different opinions on health, the law of attraction, psychic and paranormal things, etc, we're going to disagree about politics. Doesn't mean we can't engage in healthy discussion without resorting to name calling or other degenerative behavior.
Even if the mods can force everyone to be polite (good luck with that - I've seen some mods be quite harsh in their political statements), having a political forum can still be very detrimental.
1) It brings the daily news into this forum.
2) It encourages people to discuss negative situations that they have no control over.
3) It distracts us from discussing what we can do, to being concerned about what others are doing to us through the government.
4) It shuts down one nice oasis that is relatively free of politics.
5) It will bring in outside people who don't care about personal development, but only care about pushing their candidate or their opinion on to the rest of us.
6) Increase conflicts between members. It's one thing for me to know that someone chooses to eat or believe in a way I think is detrimental. That doesn't affect my life. It's another and more drastic thing for me to think someone is going around supporting political candidates that would dramatically and negatively impact my life. Thus, what this person says in the political forum will negatively impact how I would react to them elsewhere on this site.
7) Encourages people to think in terms of scarcity.
Yes, some people on here would love a political forum and would enjoy it and it would benefit them. For many others, a political forum would bring an unwanted distraction and negatively impact them and the value of this site to them.
Why do we have to please and help some people at the cost of others? Start an ErinPavlina-politics.com site so you can have what you want, and let us who are trying to escape politics keep our nice peaceful oasis.