Originally Posted by MyEyeIsOpen
You have all the input you need -- let us know what happens.
Uh, may I add my input too?
What a loooovely letter! I don't think it's too much passionate. I'm a woman, and that's approximately the way I feel when I have a middle crush on someone, so it's nothing that will make her have an hysteric attack, don't worry... It's just very sincere, and really lovely. Give it to her!
Maybe I'm biased because I don't like to be given any material objects, but such a letter would mean to me much, much more than any gift on the world! Even if I'm not into that guy. So what? It's very nice to be said such things, even if you're not in love with the person. The gift is for her to feel good, not for him to get some romantic results!
And if she feels bad because of being loved in such a great way, well, then she has problems with receiving love! (which means she would also have problems with giving love, so it's better if nothing happens between you).
I agree with Angela about that you're glad that you were smart enough
to realize how wrong you were. I also agree with her that you should explain why the qualities you listed about her are so great or are particularly important to you. Just enumerating some qualities is not enough, explain how you feel about it, how she makes you feel in her presence because of having these qualities. If a man tells me "you're so independent!" maybe for him that means a lot, but if he doesn't say so, I'll think "so what?". But if he says "you're so independent, with you I feel like we're two birds flying in the sky!" I think "aaawwww...."
I have a few suggestions more. Sorry, I'm going to be straightforward!
- I would not talk in a dismissive way about the "normal route". Imagine how she would feel if she has chosen this normal route and just bought you a gift...
- I would skip "In words, straight from the heartÖ So please bear with me." Sounds insecure. There's no need to apologize for your feelings. That it comes from your heart is obvious anyway.
- I would also skip "in a very long and drawn-out kind of way". Sounds a bit self-degrading too. You're telling her lots of compliments, then you dismiss them as just a long and awkward way to tell her that you love her? That devaluates the compliments! Let them be what they are, they're lovely.
- I would also skip "despite how short a time Iíve known you". There is love at first sight, and besides you have known her for a long time. That bit of sentence makes you sound insecure again.
- I would skip "or could". why, well.. imagine she's a bit insecure herself (since you are, and you said you're both shy, I guess she's too). Plus she's 15 years older than you. For you it doesn't matter, but for her? She could interpret the "I would never have thought that I could love you" in a way you don't want her to interpret it! "Would" is perfectly ok since you honestly had no good first impression of her. But I wouldn't say "could".
- I would skip the whole paragraph "And I donít ask that you feel the same way, and I donít even ask that you be with me either. I certainly donít ask that you change when youíre around me. I just want you to know, if you didnít already know before." No need to make excuses or make yourself small! That you want her to know is obvious since you're telling her. Just let her know what you feel, there is no need to tell her that you just let her know. I guess this is to make her feel free. Well the best way is not to say anything about it.
- Maybe it's my english, but can't "You are hilarious, and at times you probably donít even realize it." be misinterpreted as "you are ridiculous and at times you probably don't even realize it"? I would say something about that she has such a great sense of humour instead of "you're hilarious". But maybe I'm wrong here.
- I would skip "Probably my favourite person outside of my direct family." Dunno why exactly. Maybe it sounds a bit dependent. Maybe it sounds like she's not as important as your family. Maybe it sounds like she's your favourite toy, haha. "you're one of
my favourite persons on this planet
" is good. But this second sentence... I wouldn't like it at all if a guy wrote me that!
Well that's all. It's a really lovely letter and I stronly encourage you to give it to her!
Let us know!